I’m not a very expressive person. I say “thank you” and “I love you” very rarely. I honestly can’t remember when was the last time I told someone I love them in person. I guess that’s one of my introverted traits. I just keep silent about things like that, but I remember them all. I have the list of things that I am very thankful for in the back of my mind. Always there for me to browse through.
Here, I will be listing 20 things I am thankful for in the first 20 years of my life. I’m trying to be more… open so this is a step towards that direction. This has got to be my most personal post on my blog yet, and I might or might not hide my face for the next few days as the people in my list read through this post.
- Papa. There are a hundred different reasons why I am thankful of my papa. All the opportunities and privilege I have in life is because of him. Because he was so hard-working so he can provide us the best he could. And we are living really well because of him. He’s my major inspiration to be financially stable, to be successful in my career, and to give back to my family. I also developed my love for math because of him. He was teaching me numbers since I was 3, if I remembered correctly!
- Mama. For doing the hardest work ever; being a mother. I don’t think I can do what you can do, I don’t have the patience for it. For sacrificing your sleep so all of my siblings and I are accounted for at the start and end of the day. For driving me home from late night concerts. For taking care of my ~fashion~ clothes. I know we fight a lot regarding silly things but I am so so so thankful to have you in my life.
- My parents. I know I already stated the specific traits they have but they deserve another one for both of them. I am very thankful that my parents are supportive of me and trust in what I do and want. They support me going to concerts that last ‘til midnight or later and my thirst for adventure and new places. They support me to reach my dreams and more. Also, they are my relationship goals even if I act disgusted every time they act mushy in real life or in social media.
- Andrei. My brother who spends most of his hours at school. I honestly think he’s trying to outdo all my accomplishments academically. Ha! I’m thankful that he’s always up for adventures that when everyone else backs down on a ride (*coughs* Papa *coughs*), I still have someone else to go with! He also sprouts very random facts that are very interesting and very nerdy. Nerd.
- Allen. My foodie buddy. Who eats as much as me and follows all my orders. Oldest sibling advantage right there, y’all. I am thankful for his very jolly attitude, from his weird dancing to his very corny jokes (which I still laugh at because they’re so corny you can’t not laugh). He doesn’t like to grow up fast like most high school students do so I can still treat him as a teddy bear sometimes.
- My cousins. For keeping my inner child alive since y’all are younger than me. For all your childish antics that keeps me entertained and reminiscing. For accompanying me as I watch horror movies in the living room.
- Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles. For being so close to me. For the advices and the gifts. For all the adventures and memories together. Especially the food adventures since y’all have a love for anything delicious.
- Travel buddies. My travel buddies are those that I met during college and are one of my closest friends now. From overnight stays for our thesis to planning out of the country trips. We talk about everything under the sun and that really means everything. Thank you for your friendship. I can’t wait for our trip to Hong Kong and South Korea next year. All new experiences and memories together!
- Concert buddies. They are people that I also met during college. Thank you for being as crazy as I am regarding bands. For waiting in lines for hours and staying on our feet longer for the actual concerts. For stalking the bands together and actually getting the chance to meet them. For holding on to each other in the pit so we can all be on the front row. I can’t wait for Saturday so we can all do these together again.
- High school best friends. I am so thankful for these girls’ friendships. It sometimes take months before we meet up again but I’m never awkward with you guys. You were there with me during my awkward stage and I love that you’re still here now. I can’ wait ‘til we meet up again. It’s been forever!
- My iPhone5S. I had you for two years already yet we’ve been to countless concerts and places! Your only battle scar is during an All Time Low concert. Without you, I wouldn’t be able to document all the things I’ve been up to!
- My high school. You were a pain in my ass when I was still in high school but you sure made my college a breeze. All the teachers, staff, and classmates helped me build my study habits. Too many mandatory events, as well, but those made my years with you memorable. Aim high, MunSci!
- My college. Viva Mapua! Who knew I was able to handle four terms in a year? I had so many sleepless nights because of you but you made me meet friends that are there during the highs and lows.
- My company. I loved you starting from 2014’s Student Leadership Conference that allowed me to meet students from different courses and schools! I loved the fact that I have work-life balance, competitive salary, and the numerous free trainings you offer.
- My officemates. I have never met a more welcoming batch than you guys. Thank you for teaching me the ropes and answering my question no matter how many there are. For encouraging me to take more trainings and keeping my hopes up that I’ll be promoted soon. Hahahaha!
- My books. I’m thankful that I picked up a book when I was in second year high school. It didn’t matter that it was Twilight. I’ve been to numerous worlds with thousands of different personalities because of you. Thank you.
- Going to concerts. The rush I get every time I’m in a concert is unforgettable. I love singing with thousands during my favorite song. I love the whole aura of the crowd and that I can talk to a total stranger beside me who’s willing to help me out if I fall or lost my shoe in the crowd. True story.
- Travelling. The fear and excitement of the unknown! To learn about somebody else’s culture. To see all the beautiful things the Earth has to offer. The contentment I feel every time I step foot on a place that I never actually thought I would reach.
- Myself. For overcoming my fears and being stronger than who I was before. For letting go of the meek, shy girl of yesteryears and being comfortable in my own skin. For chasing after my dreams no matter how far they seem right now. For being my own critic and biggest fan at the same time.
- God. I’m not a very religious person. Honestly, I’m still not quite sure what I believe in exactly. But, I believe in God. It’s just the details about everything else that are all murky. Praying to Him helped me during both good and bad times. He’s someone I talk to when I’m too scared or shy or anxious to talk to anyone else. He calms me.
I’m not sharing this to my Facebook. I’m actually blushing right now. Haha! I wasn’t actually sure if I can reach 20 items, but I did! I’m so happy. Writing this post just made me realize more just how many things I should and am thankful for. These are the only ones from the top of my head but I’m sure there’s still a lot more for me to be thankful for.
I’m planning to join the Monday Grace link-up for a weekly reminder of things that I am grateful/thankful for. I guess we’ll see on Monday if I get myself to do that.